2010年12月12日星期日

U.S. golfer Bobby Gates has grabbed sole leadership

U.S. golfer Bobby Gates has grabbed sole leadership on the second day of Australian PGA Championship on Friday.

Gates shot 69 to be 11-under overall, leading by just a shot from Australian John Senden and China's Liang Wenchong at the tournament held at Hyatt Regency Coolum resort of Sunshine Coast, Australia.

Gates said he was happy with the solid way he finished.

"It helps that I played well yesterday and that I hung in there today," He told The Australian newspaper on Saturday.

"The winds were quite different, the greens are getting firm.

"I've gained a bit of confidence going into the weekend, and I' ve had the luxury of exploring the course and knowing where not to be."

Meanwhile, China's No. 1 player Liang shot a four-under 68 to share joint second with Australia's John Senden (65) in a bogey- free round to be 10-under 134.

Liang, a farmer-turned-golf professional, has played alongside Australian defending champion Robert Allenby and two-time major champion John Daly in his opening two rounds.

"These two rounds have been good," Liang said.

"My putting was better yesterday so I had more birdies but I am satisfied with my results today.

"I feel more comfortable on the course and I had no bogeys today. I hope to give the competition my best this weekend and have a good finish."

According to Sunshine Coast Daily newspaper, Allenby believes Liang has what it takes to snatch one of the nation's most prestigious trophies from the strong contingent of Australian golfers at Hyatt Regency Coolum resort.

"Liang is an awesome player," Allenby said. "He's a super-nice guy and a great player. He played very well on the OneAsia Tour and at Whistling Straits."

Geoff Ogilvy, coming off a victory last week in the Australian Open, shot 69 and was six strokes behind Gates.

The tournament will continue on Saturday and for the final day on Sunday.

The Australian PGA Championship will be the final tournament on both the PGA Tour of Australasia and OneAsia, with players competing for a total prize pool of 1.4 million US dollars.

没有评论:

发表评论